TESTA, a data communication network service supported by ISA², facilitates the cross-border exchange of health data between EU countries. Thanks to TESTA, Europeans can get their medication in another EU country, and in case of emergency while travelling abroad, doctors can give better care by accessing the patient’s past health records.
TESTA is a European backbone network for data exchange between a wide variety of public administrations. It provides guaranteed performance and a high level of security and interoperability. The network is used by EU institutions and agencies, as well as EU countries and organisations acting on their behalf.
In the area of eHealth, two electronic cross-border health services using TESTA are currently progressively introduced in all EU countries:
- ePrescription (and eDispensation) allows EU citizens to obtain their medication in a pharmacy located in another EU country, thanks to the online transfer of their electronic prescription.
- Patient Summary provides doctors with information on important health related aspects of a travelling patient such as allergies, current medication, previous illness, surgeries, etc.
The following exchanges are already operational:
- Finland: ePrescriptions of outgoing travellers
- Estonia: ePrescriptions of incoming travellers
- Luxembourg: Patient Summaries of incoming travellers
- Czech Republic: Patient Summaries of outgoing travellers
- Croatia: ePrescriptions and Patient Summaries for incoming travellers
- Malta: Patient summaries of outgoing travellers
- Portugal: Patient Summaries of incoming travellers
By 2021, 22 EU countries will gradually implement both services.
Article Source: https://ec.europa.eu/isa2/news/testa-enables-exchange-health-data-secure-efficient-and-interoperable-way_en